Challenges have been discontinued, but I hope you will enjoy browsing through this wonderful archive of Alice-inspired art!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

CHAPTER 4 Challenge - Week 5: Winner & Honorable Mentions

Today we are awarding the prize from our gnerous sponsor, Fresh Brewed Designs! The randomly chosen winner of this month's challenge will receive five digi stamps of their choice from the Fresh Brewed Designs store. Heather has drawn the fabulous Alice in Wonderland digi images  that the design team has used to inspire you, and who knows? Maybe the winner will choose some of them as part of their prize.


The winner was randomly chosen by random.org, and entries that featured some aspect of Wonderland were entered twice for the prize drawing!

The Winner:

Name: Lola Azul
Blog: Apuntes des Colores
Winning Project: Alice in Wonderland Clock Book [Spanish | English translation]


Lola was chosen as the winner randomly, but I could not be more pleased that she was selected as she really put her heart, and a great deal of TIME, into this very special creation! Lola capitalized the fact that Alice in Wonderland has twelve chapters, the year has twelve months, and day and night have 12 hours in this amazing round tabbed book that is all about time; minutes and hours, months and seasons.


Lola, you are now entitled to display this Challenge Winner blog badge! Contact me through the email link at the top of the left column, and I will forward your information to Heather to arrange your prize!


Lola is a girl after my own heart as she started with recycled cereal packaging! The details are fascinating and you will really want to see all other pictures, including one of each page! The clock cover features moveable clock hands. To tie in with the calendar months, each one is coded with a little white symbol to represent the season. Each chapter is illustrated with her own original illustration from the appropriate chapter of Alice in Wonderland!

Please visit Lola's blog to leave her a comment and to read all the details in Spanish or English (or any other language you would like to translate)!

Honorable Mentions:

This is the most difficult month so far! ALL of the entries were interesting and amazing, and I would like to thank EVERYONE who played along. We really appreciate your participation and I hope you will play again next month, when we have something very, very special planned.


Those mentioned here today are awarded this Honorable Mention blog badge, and I hope you will display it on your blogs with pride! I wish I had time to mention each and every one of you, but I think it would take me until next week to say what I loved about each entry.


Julie Dandy, a.k.a. "ScrappyDandyDoo" of It's a Scrappy Life really wowed me with this fantastic entry! Every single detail applies to the story and I just LOVE it! The background is text from the story. Notice the Rabbit is three inches high (to the top of his head anyway, without the ears) which is a height Alice and the Caterpillar shared for a while. Alice kept shrinking and growing, and Julie stamped Alice onto shrink plastic and suspending her in the tiny "drink me" bottle, along with a teeny-tiny key! Love the layering of background stamps and distress inks, and that rabbit image is FANTASTIC! Hmmmm. . . I wonder if this stamp company would like to sponsor a challenge?

Julie is also trying to get the word out about a special raffle to help a special dog, so after you leave a comment on her Alice project, perhaps you can check that out as well!


The tulle overlay on this card gave such an interesting texture to the image, so I had to mention this card by Heather of Heather's Coffee Break! I can't believe how much the tulle overlay adds to this card. Heather's coloring is wonderul, and I like the way she has used yellow and purple together - they are opposites on the color wheel so it is a combo that creates a lot of energy. I also love the way she has inset a larger scale detail in the center of the clock. Notice that the gleam in Alice's eye is in the shape of the White Rabbit, running away.  How often to you get the actual stamp artist playing along in the challenge?  Heather, we are so glad you not only sponsored the challenge but also journeyed down the rabbit hole with us and entered the challenge!


Debbie Buckland, a.k.a. "godzoned" of Arty Crafty, created this incredibly detailed and incredibly small sculpture (only 4 inches high) from paper clay! She used acrylic paints, reinkers, Flower Soft, glitter glue, and more to create this wonderful White Rabbit! Be sure to visit Debbie's blog to see all the other photos and leave her a comment.


I love all the Cricut-cut stacked layers on this wonderful shaped card by Donna Mundinger of Popsicle Toes! Her Octopode images are showcased on a clock and a flourished hat, and the detail is really amazing, so be sure to click to see the bigger view. Donna almost ran out of TIME - she completed her post minutes before the deadline, but the Linky list was prematurely closed. Luckily she left a link to her post in a blog comment here, and it WAS minutes before the deadline, so I manually added her entry and I am SO GLAD she made it! And now I know that the clock on the Linky server looks to be about seven minutes fast, so I'll adjust for that next time.  Be sure to visit Donna's blog and leave her some comments and sympathy, and read the comments on her post which are almost as interesting as the post itself, LOL!


I absolutely cannot resist the incredible, intensely saturated color in this creation from Hazel, of Hazel's Creative Moments!  Hazel was the lucky winner of a previous challenge and we are always happy to see her work!



Crafty Steph of Cardiff, Wales just started papercrafting in January of this year, and I'd say she is off to a great start! Love the assemblage of elements that contrast elegance with grunge! The mix of shiny metal elements, the duller finish of the metal gears and sprockets, the wrinkled and distressed paper, the lace, all in a very neutral color pallette makes a very strong and unified presentation. My favorite bit is the journaling that asks us "Remember when you first discovered Alice?" You can give her your answer when you stop by to leave a comment on her blog!


Sarah Cooper of Scrapbooking is Cheaper Than Therapy (love that!) altered a REAL working clock and it now hangs in her scrap room!  It was such a literal interpretation of the challenge that I had to give it a mention. The White Rabbit's arms are the hour and minute hands, and the heart suit of cards marks the hours from ace to Queen of Hearts.  Just think, you could have your elevenses at Jack or Knave o'clock!   I am also going to be on the lookout for a cheap clock to alter, I think this idea has a LOT of possibilities!

I have run out of time for more Honorable Mentions. I hope you will visit ALL the blogs of the entrants as every project was so special! Even though I wanted to, I could not give Valerianas Studio  a mention as her entry was posted before the challenge date (back-linking is not allowed for the challenges), but do go and visit her Alice im Wunderland category, as she is an amazing digital artist! 

Be sure to pop back next week, as we have something really special and quite different planned! And thanks again to Heather of Fresh Brewed Designs for being such a great sponsor!  Please leave a comment here before you go!

10 comments:

  1. Such fabulous entries and I'm so honored to be showcased among them. Thank you so much for accepting my piece. Hopefully next time I won't be so close to the wire. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Lola on your fabulous winning entry :D Thank you for my honourable mention I have my badge proudly on display :D

    looking forward to the next challenge :D
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Lola! Thanks to everyone who commented on my entry and thank you for the honourable mention and kind comments. Really enjoyed my first Altered Alice challenge...can't wait for the next one! I'm off to pop the badge on my blog. Take care everyone! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to thank Lynne for your wonderful words and your lovely blog which it's a great inspiration. Thanks evrybody for give me congratulations. I'm looking foward for the next challenge!. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulation to all the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOO HOO!!! What a wonderful month!!! congratulations to the winner and the honorable mentions.
    I am sooo surprised to find my card as an honorable mention! Thank you so much!!! I really have fun making cards and was so happy to sponsor this challenge blog. It was the most fun I have had in a long time!!!

    (and I created another card ... a little too late :D for this challenge if you want to see it :D http://joemamainks.blogspot.com/2011/05/tick-tock.html)

    Thanks again. You ladies here at Altered Alice ROCK!!!! Lots of hugs and smiles!

    Heather D.
    Fresh Brewed Designs

    ReplyDelete
  7. uauu
    Projetos maravilhosos!
    parabéns a todos!


    já estou na expectativa da proxima semana!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Lola and all the honourable mentions.
    Thank you Lynne for my honourable mention and your kind words about my work, I'm looking forward to the next challenge.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats for all...works of arts!!!
    Hugs
    Marlei

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats to all. All are very wonderful works of art.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS so much for participating in the experience that is THE ALTERED ALICE!!! Your comments mean the world to me, so thanks in advance for taking the time!